Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Science for everyone

I've just finished reading Bill Bryson's book A Short History of Nearly Everything and I just wanted to recommend the book to everyone. It might take awhile to read the entire book, but his way of explaining some basic, but not always easy to understand, scientific aspects of life on earth and life as a human being are incredibly helpful. I think everyone would get something out of this book and I especially recommend it if you are a teacher of science, from 1st grade through college. There are many useful tidbits on possibly helping someone see the science from a different direction than a textbook. I know that you all might not be interested in all aspects of science but the planet Earth is an amazing place and it's well worth learning about its history.

On a separate note, I stumbled onto a site which made me laugh. www.readytofix.com is a site where you could log in (I didn't) and try to find a high end vehicle that has been damaged in some way. You can view a sample of their vehicles, but what really got me was the common usage of the phrase "readily repairable damage", obviously my definition of readily repairable is quite different than this site. My favorite was this 54 Corvette.

No comments: