Sunday, February 11, 2007

202 14 35 17

That was the number that flashed across the screen as I exited a local establishment. "What are those numbers" I was thinking. Above the digital screen was a chalk board with some words including "Roll Tide". Now "Roll Tide" is the most common phrase uttered around this town....the Univ of Alabama are the Crimson Tide for those of you who may not have known and the saying is rally cry for the sports teams....and when I say sports teams, that is 95% football. So the numbers you may ask?....202 days 14 hours 35 minutes and 17 seconds....until the next game. This town is obsessed with the team and shuts down when the team plays a game. Someone asked me what was the most shocking thing about moving to the deep south and Tuscaloosa and I must say that the cult following of the football team is easily at the top. I know this goes on at many other schools, but I've never experienced it. It's slightly overwhelming when I got into a football conversation and should have known something about the assistant coaches. Who the f cares about assistant coaches? They're just these nameless guys with wires sticking out of them on the sidelines.

No comments: